But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people.
(v3, NIV)
Sexual immorality is clearly a bad thing. We are not to be sexually immoral. It's not simply that we are not to be sexually immoral, but we shouldn't even have a hint of it. It shouldn't even be named among us. This means that there should be no reason for anything to think that we are sexually immoral. This gives seriousness to the degree of righteousness we are to strive for. Though, as I say that, I realize there aren't really degrees of righteousness, but maybe I was using the idea of how we relate and observe how some people are "good" and some people are more "good" than others. We must take Paul's words seriously and flee sexual immorality in such a way that others will not even name it among us. This doesn't only apply to sexual immorality, but also to any kind of impurity or greed. These kinds of immorality are not proper for God's holy people. We are followers of the Lord Jesus Christ. Holy means to be set apart and we are set apart from this world for God. Impurity may be named among others, but it is not meant for God's holy people.
Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.
(v4, NIV)
In addition to sexual immorality, impurity and greed, we are to not have obscenity, foolish talk, or coarse joking. From this I gather that we are to have clean jokes if we are to joke. This means we shouldn't joke about dirty things, which also is a part of having no hint of sexual immorality among us. These things that we may brush off as not a big deal are in fact a big deal. We shouldn't even be saying them or having them in our lives.
Looking at this verse, it refers to these things as "out of place". At first I desire to simply gather that there is such a thing as foolish talk that is out of place, which also means that there is such a thing as foolish joking that is "in" place. However, there is a comma after "which", from which I gather that all foolish talk and obscenity and coarse joking is out of place. As I try to defend my sinful answer in saying that there is such a thing as coarse joking that is "in" place, I have to step back and actually ask that to myself. Is there really such a thing as coarse joking that is "in" place? If there is such a place for these things, wouldn't it allow impurity to be named among you? Simply don't do it, and don't have it in your lives.
Instead of these things, we are to have thanksgiving. I find in my sinfulness, I am not a very thankful person. Often I am tempted to complain. Maybe it is out of thanksgiving that we would steer clear of coarse joking. If we are thankful, we won't have foolish talk. Let us be thankful, for we have much to be thankful for.
No comments:
Post a Comment