------ Draw Me Close to You ------
------ James Home ------ JonLam Home ------ midgetman Home------

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Ephesians 6:10

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.

(v10, NIV)

There are different ways in which people are strong. At first, you may think of people's physical strength. Some people are just big people who can overpower you with their muscles; Zangief or Hulk Hogan comes to mind. It could be more than physical muscles, but maybe it's simply power. Someone may have a powerful influence over others, a commander or a leader of men. Maybe there is a strong weapon that is extremely powerful. Tell me, who is the strongest? "...and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength" (1 Corinthians 1:25). In chapter 1 on 1 Corinthians, Paul is talking about God compared to men. In particular, it compares God's wisdom to the wisdom of men, and God's power to the power of men. God is so strong that even his weakness is stronger than men. There are probably other better verses to display God's strength, but this is the first that came to my mind.

We are to be strong in the Lord. He is the strongest of anyone or anything you could find. It is in him and in his mighty power that we are strong. We ourselves are not strong, merely ones who draw from his strength. This strength allows us to do many things.

I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

(Philippians 4:13, NIV)

One time I saw a lovely decoration with this passage inscribed on it. I think it said "Success" and underneath it listed this passage. Unfortunately, that is greatly misleading. When I think of success and I'd venture to say that when most people think of success, they think of money and wealth and climbing the corporate ladder. However, when Paul wrote this, he was not thinking of any of those things.

I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

(Philippians 4:10-13, NIV)

As you can read this larger portion of Philippians chapter 4, Paul is not talking about success as many would think of success. He's talking about persevering and succeeding through difficult times and hardship. One way in which we are strong in the Lord is from drawing on his strength that he provides to endure difficulties we encounter. God's power is great; do not worry for a lack of power on his part. Be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might.

1 comment:

  1. our posts today are in common =)

    "The secret to prosper and the secret to be poor are the same secret (Philippians 4:12)" - John Piper, just today on his twitter :P

    ReplyDelete