Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.
(v11, NIV)
We are light in the Lord. Since we are this light, we shouldn't do the things of the darkness. The deeds they perform are fruitless. However, there is fruit associated with the light. In verse 9 Paul says that it consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth.
For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret.
(v12, NIV)
We aren't to do the deeds of the darkness. Their deeds are so bad that it's shameful even to mention. Clearly what they do is wrong because they are disobedient. How can their deeds which disobey the living God be "good" in any way, shape or form?
But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said:
"Wake up, O sleeper,
rise from the dead,
and Christ will shine on you."
(v13-14, NIV)
Light cannot coexist with darkness. If light and darkness meet, the darkness will be brought to light. Though, I can also imagine a dim light the deep dark pit of a cave being overwhelmed by the darkness. However, the light makes things visible. These deeds that are done by the darkness are exposed by the light. We are the light of the Lord. We must expose them. Now, I can imagine how this can be taken the wrong way. I am at a loss for how to describe this in the best practical way. Looking to the next few verses may give a clue as to how to be the light of the Lord. However, as I am continuing to learn this myself, we must do everything with love.
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
(1 Corinthians 13:1-3, NIV)
No comments:
Post a Comment