------ Draw Me Close to You ------
------ James Home ------ JonLam Home ------ midgetman Home------

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Living to Please God

There always a desire in me to please God and although I am not perfect, I continue to strive for it not realizing the falsity of sometimes acting to righteously in front of others. I need to be reminded of the grace of God and allow myself to be taken captive by God when i am taken captive by the world. I read lately a poem by John Donne that describes this feeling:

Batter my heart, three-person'd God ; for you
As yet but knock ; breathe, shine, and seek to mend ;
That I may rise, and stand, o'erthrow me, and bend
Your force, to break, blow, burn, and make me new.
I, like an usurp'd town, to another due,
Labour to admit you, but O, to no end.
Reason, your viceroy in me, me should defend,
But is captived, and proves weak or untrue.
Yet dearly I love you, and would be loved fain,
But am betroth'd unto your enemy ;
Divorce me, untie, or break that knot again,
Take me to you, imprison me, for I,
Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me


From this poem i was studying for class it reminded me the wanting desire for God to change our thoughts and actions; only then we will please God.

May God our Father and our Lord Jesus bring us to you very soon. And may the Lord make your love for one another and for all people grow and overflow, just as our love for you overflows. May he, as a result, make your hearts strong, blameless, and holy as you stand before God our Father when our Lord Jesus comes again with all his holy people. Amen.
1 Thessalonians 3:11-13

It comes to surprise, after this paragraph Paul instructs the Thessalonians in how to please God. It starts from allowing God to give you that urging desire to prompt the action in hand. in the end God is glorified, not us

No comments:

Post a Comment