I stopped short of this verse last time because I didn't quite understand it at first. I still don't quite understand it. But at the very least, Paul is continuing his point about not prejudging. If you prejudge, you might be quick to lay your hands on someone. The confusion comes when tying the laying of hands with something "bad". I guess prejudging applies to both good and bad things. I guess this could also be something completely separate from prejudging and merely another instruction being given by Paul. Perhaps the laying of hands isn't something that is done hastily in general, and if that is the case then that isn't correct. They laid hands on Timothy and he was given a gift by prophecy.
It certainly makes sense to not take part in the sins of others. By doing such a thing along with other things Paul instructs, one does it to remain pure. Perhaps that applies to not hastily laying hands on someone. Paul then instructs Timothy to use wine for his ailments. In those days, alcohol was sometimes used for medicinal purposes.
I'm not sure how this ties in with the wine, but obvious sins certainly ties in with purity. Not all sins appear immediately but sometimes appearing later. Good works are the same, some are obvious and those that are not obvious cannot remain hidden. This should dissuade others from secret sin, since it will appear later if it is not obvious. In addition, perhaps it will spur others to continue in good works that are not obvious. Sometimes those good works are discouraging because encouragement and recognition is hard to come by with something that is unknown. However, knowing that it cannot be hidden may be some encouragement. Hopefully not encouraging people to seek the praise of men, but it can be disheartening at times.
No comments:
Post a Comment