When Peter came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he was clearly in the wrong.
(v11, NIV)
Paul apposed Peter to his face. This is straight up no beating around the bush or being half hearted about it. There is something to be done and Paul is not afraid of doing it. Unfortunately, I find myself often afraid of confronting other about things. It's easy to get afraid and never end up doing it. However, we need to confront others if we see a problem. Hopefully your recognition of their wrongdoing is based upon biblical truth and discernment from God. But it seems that Paul doesn't go beating around the bush either. He just up and does it without fear or regret. It also seems as though he doesn't wait. Sometimes I want to wait and not confront them right away. Somehow I believe waiting will make it better. It is true that maybe I am misinterpreting. However, I believe if we confront with proper intentions, we don't need to wait. Confronting a close brother or sister may simply clear the confusion if you were wrong in thinking they were doing something wrong.
Before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group.
(v12, NIV)
Peter was eating with the Gentiles and seemed to have no problem doing so. However, when other prominent Jews came, he ate with them. Now, there isn't really anything wrong for this in itself. You may even think that there's nothing wrong since you can argue that people are free to eat with whoever they want and maybe Paul hadn't seen those Jews for a while and wanted to catch up with them during the meals. However, the problem is that Peter was afraid being seen by them to be eating with those who were uncircumcised. This reveals a segregation and distinction between the groups of circumcised and uncircumcised. However, Jesus died for both the Jew and the Gentiles, so there should be no segregation among the body of Christ.
No comments:
Post a Comment