------ Draw Me Close to You ------
------ James Home ------ JonLam Home ------ midgetman Home------

Thursday, October 8, 2009

2 Corinthians 13:5-10

Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test? And I trust that you will discover that we have not failed the test.

(v5-6, NIV)

We need to examine ourselves to see whether we are truly followers of Jesus. If we do not, we will become deceived into believing that we are followers of Jesus when we actually are not. True followers of Him have Jesus within them. Christ's power is shown through them, and they live and breathe for Him. Paul himself does not fail the test and he hopes they will follow his lead in this regard.

Now we pray to God that you will not do anything wrong. Not that people will see that we have stood the test but that you will do what is right even though we may seem to have failed. For we cannot do anything against the truth, but only for the truth. We are glad whenever we are weak but you are strong; and our prayer is for your perfection. This is why I write these things when I am absent, that when I come I may not have to be harsh in my use of authority—the authority the Lord gave me for building you up, not for tearing you down.

(v7-10, NIV)

Paul doesn't really care what other people think about him. He doesn't care whether they recognize that he is truly a follower of Jesus or not. He continues with his attitude of a father to these children and wishes only for their benefit and not his own. He wants them to stand the test and wants them to continue to grow and become perfect. All of these things he is writing to them are instructions and encouragements in hopes that they will listen to him. Hopefully they will not fail the test and Paul will see with his own eyes that Jesus is in them. His desire is for their success. He may be tempted to tear them down even though he is supposed to use his authority to build them up.

I don't know about other people, but I often catch myself doing the opposite of building others up. We must remember to edify one another and build them up. Be careful how you use your tongue. James chapter 3 talks about the tongue and how powerful it is. We must be careful how we use our tongues.

No comments:

Post a Comment