I have made a fool of myself, but you drove me to it. I ought to have been commended by you, for I am not in the least inferior to the "super-apostles," even though I am nothing. The things that mark an apostle—signs, wonders and miracles—were done among you with great perseverance. How were you inferior to the other churches, except that I was never a burden to you? Forgive me this wrong!
(v11-13, NIV)
Paul should have been commended by them. However, they still are turning to other gospels and away from the gospel Paul preaches. They have been deceived by those others, when instead they should have continued to follow Paul and commended him for his boast. Even though Paul is making himself a fool through his boast, his boasts aren't weak like the boasts of those "super-apostles".
Some of them may have thought Paul to be treating them as inferior to others. Paul chose not to burden them by receiving his daily needs from other churches while he ministered to those at the Corinthian church. Clearly, Paul was doing this because he loves them and doesn't want to hinder them in their coming to accept Jesus. But they continue to turn to other gospels and accuse him of doing wrong when he chose not to ask them to support him financially.
No comments:
Post a Comment