------ Draw Me Close to You ------
------ James Home ------ JonLam Home ------ midgetman Home------

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

2 Samuel 11 and 1 Corinthians 10:13

I was listening to a sermon about David and Bathsheba. I'm just going to assume that you all know the story. The story is found in 2 Samuel 11.

The point that struck me was that you shouldn't let your emotions guide you. Now I've heard that before and know it to be true. However, for some reason, I've only limited my focus for that teaching to relationships. It made me think of how easily we are swayed to sin by our feelings. Our sinful desires think selfishly only of temporary pleasures. When we in the heat of the moment give in to that, we are allowing it to control us.

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

(1 Corinthians 10:13, ESV)

Now, I'm not saying that we can defeat sin on our own. We can't defeat sin by ourselves. Fortunately, as far as everyday temptation goes, God does not let us to be tempted beyond our ability. He knows how much we can handle. Furthermore, he provides the way of escape. You will never be backed into a corner that you cannot get out from.

No comments:

Post a Comment