The last section was about spiritual gifts. Taking a quick peek ahead, we see that the next chapter talks about prophecy and tongues. However, Paul mentions that prophecy will pass away and tongues will cease (v8). There are many things in this world that are partial and will pass away. In looking at things in that light, I guess it helps you put things into perspective. "Love never ends." (v8, ESV).
When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways.
(v11, ESV)
We need to grow up. If we do things without love, we are childish. Those at the Corinthian church were arguing over which spiritual gifts were better as Paul addresses in the last chapter. "Love does not envy or boast;" (v4, ESV). So, they shouldn't be envious of other people's gifts or boastful about their own.
Now in becoming a man and working towards this maturity, there is always a striving for perfection. This is the process of sanctification. So, we're not perfect yet and we are still in our partial stage. However, with reference to this perfect and the passing away of the partial, we too will know fully.
For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.
(v12, ESV)
Faith, hope and love are what matters. Referring again back to the spiritual gifts, they don't really matter. What matters are faith, hope and love. Let us live with faith, hope and love.
So now faith, hope and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
(v13, ESV)
No comments:
Post a Comment