Anything without love is nothing.
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
(v1, NIV)
A resounding gong or clanging cymbal is simply loud or annoying. Without love, you become like that. When we speak, our desire is for someone to hear what we say. Hopefully they'll understand it and possibly get something out of it. They may receive whatever message we were trying to tell them. However, a gong or cymbal isn't really what we want our talk to be used for.
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
(v2, NIV)
Last year my family was praying desperately for my aunt who was hospitalized because of a sudden brain issue. At this very moment, there are those who are praying for Mandy's mother. Mandy's mother has cancer. In praying for the sick, there is usually an aspect about praying in faith. First of all, we use verses like Luke 17:6 to show that faith can do big things. Then we use verses like Matthew 21:22 and Mark 11:24 to show that we should ask for healing in faith. There are also Jesus's healings in which people are healed because of their faith. However, we are nothing without love. So, it's good to ask for things in faith and great to have great faith, but we also need to have love.
If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
(v3, NIV)
Nothing is gained without love. Those who sacrifice will sacrifice in vain without love. Though this verse only refers to surrendering my body to the flames, it makes me think of sacrifice. Jesus was sacrificed for us. If there was not love, then nothing was gained. But we know and are sure that God so loved the world (John 3:16). With that in mind, do you need love in order to sacrifice for another? I guess you "could" sacrifice for someone without love, but it would gain nothing as it says in verse 3. If love isn't driving your motive or if your motive is void of love then what you do is worthless.
Let us not do things in vain. Let us have love. Let us love one another (1 John 4:7-8)
No comments:
Post a Comment