Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
(v8, NIV)
Another one of Paul's instructions to his readers is regarding what we think about. What you set your mind on is important. There is a danger when we think about certain things.
"You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.' But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
(Matthew 5:27-28, NIV)
In this particular passage in the gospel according to Matthew, Jesus is talking about adultery. When someone is caught in the act of committing adultery, we can recognize and acknowledge that they are sinning. However, Jesus takes this one step further and says that even looking at a woman lustfully means committing adultery. Something physical between two people does not need to occur in order for a man to commit adultery. This passage is referring to the eye causing a person to sin; however, there is also something in the mind that causes us to sin. I find that when I'm thinking about sinful things, I'm more likely to physically sin. Using that example, if I'm thinking about lustful things, then I'm more likely to look upon a woman with lust and therefore commit adultery.
Avoid thinking about sinful things. Instead, think about these things that Paul lists. The list is full of "good" things. We are to dwell upon things that are excellent and praiseworthy.
Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.
(v9, NIV)
This is one of Paul's calls to imitate him. We are all supposed to imitate Jesus. However, sometimes it helps to look to an intermediate goal. Paul is an intermediate goal to look to in imitating since he is also imitating Christ. We imitate Christ-like qualities we find in Paul who is following Christ.
It's not enough just to know what to do. Paul's readers may have known Paul and known his characteristics; however, that knowledge is useless if they're not putting it into practice. You may know what you're supposed to do, but if you don't do it you prove to be uselessly not doing what you're supposed to do. I find this is typical of when I sin. It's not that I don't know what to do, it's that I don't do what I know I'm supposed to do. Alternatively, it may be that I know there's something I shouldn't be doing, but simply do what I'm not supposed to do. Sometimes I get caught up with trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do. Too often the problem isn't knowing what to do or knowing what not to do, the problem is simply doing what you're supposed to do. If you don't know, then go find out the truth. However, Paul is calling his readers to put their knowledge into practice.
You could also look at it in another way. Failing to do the right or stupidly doing what is wrong is clearly the sinful outcome. However, though I may *know* what I'm supposed to do, some may argue that I don't truly know. Paul's calling the saints at the church in Philippi to put their knowledge into practice. Faith without deeds is dead. If you don't put it into practice, maybe you never truly believed in the first place. Knowing doesn't prove the fulfillment of the knowledge. For example, knowing how to get to Toronto doesn't mean I'm in Toronto. Actually going to Toronto will get you to Toronto. Knowing how to be saved doesn't make you saved.
No comments:
Post a Comment