I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, that I also may be cheered when I receive news about you.
(v19, NIV)
Paul begins talking about his true companion in the faith, Timothy. Paul wishes to send Timothy to them for a number of reasons. By doing so, Timothy can send news to them about Paul. In addition, Timothy can return to Paul with news of them.
I have no one else like him, who takes a genuine interest in your welfare. For everyone looks out for his own interests, not those of Jesus Christ.
(v20-21, NIV)
Timothy practically lives out what Paul encourages his readers to do in the beginning of chapter 2. We are to consider others more important than ourselves. Moreover, we are to care for other people's needs and their interests. Most people are simply looking to their own interest. However, Paul points out that those who are of Jesus Christ are like Timothy; they sincerely care about the needs of others. Seek Jesus and him alone. Care for others, for those who genuinely care for others are of Jesus Christ. However, at the same time, don't get it backwards. By caring for others does not necessarily make you one of his. Regardless, consider others more important than yourselves.
No comments:
Post a Comment