------ Draw Me Close to You ------
------ James Home ------ JonLam Home ------ midgetman Home------

Monday, March 15, 2010

Philippians 3:19

Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is on earthly things.

(v19, NIV)

Follow Paul and be like those who are following the Lord Jesus Christ. You do not want to be in the other group of people; they are enemies of the cross of Christ. If you're not for Jesus, you're against him. Those who are against him do not have a pleasant future. Their destiny is destruction. They are setting themselves up for a fall. They are going to hell, which is a real place that people do go to. In that eternal fire, there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Don't think you're saved from going there if you're a "good" person. There is no such thing as a "good" person except Jesus Christ the Lord. We are all "bad" people. However, we are graciously saved by God stepping in and sending his son Jesus to die for us. We are saved by grace through faith in him.

These enemies of the cross of Christ have their own god. Their god is their belly. Their passions are the things that they worship and consider most important in their lives. It's all about how they feel or what they enjoy. Really, it's all about themselves. Sure, they may dress it up as something else, but they are really just worshipers of themselves and their own passions. As I say this, I must step back and look at myself. I am guilty of sinful pride. I am guilty of putting myself first and above God. I am a filthy sinner just like everyone else whose god is their belly. Yet, God stepped in and saved me. I don't have a righteousness of my own; if I did, I would be sent straight to hell. My righteousness is not good enough. I wage war with my flesh and lose all the time. I do the thing that I do not want to do. But thanks be to our Lord. By whom I can be redeemed as an adopted son of the living God. There is now no condemnation.

So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in sinful man, in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit.

(Romans 7:21-8:4, NIV)

I was just thinking about this, so I should just put it up there instead of butchering the word of God.

The things that they glory in are shameful. They may not admit it, but they are shameful. For example, I remember in high school that some people would openly talk about pornography. It's sinful and shameful, and yet they were talking about it as if it were nothing. They may realize it's shameful, or maybe they don't. They may have become calloused to it. However, those things are shameful, but they glory in them.

Their mind is set on earthly things. We are on this earth, living here for now. However, this life isn't forever. This life is short, but the next life is long. Do you set your mind on the things of this earth? Do you set your mind on the temporal, as opposed to the eternal? Who cares about all that stuff? These things will pass away.

No comments:

Post a Comment