Some try to turn Paul's conversion and resulting inclusive gospel into a gospel that is so inclusive as to exclude no one. This, however, betrays Paul's conversion experience and gospel. The inclusion that Paul experiences, preaches, and practices is not an inclusion lacking teeth or limits. His gospel does not say, "All are welcome just as they are," but rather, "All are welcome just as they are to be apprehended by, and fully converted to, Jesus Christ the Lord."
-Reading Paul, Michael J. Gorman, p19
I guess the passage would be Acts 9, but it really originates from the quotes passage above. The passage above is of course based upon Paul's letters and the Acts of the Apostles, so I guess it all goes back to the bible. Regardless, I found this quite humorous as I read it. It really is quite true and it reminded me of what I heard someone say today about how God wants you just as you are. What he meant by that was probably with reference to something like the parable of the lost son. God is like the father of that story, waiting for the son to come home. As filthy sinners, God wants us to turn back to him. Though, this was not the intent of the one who said this, but it can often be misinterpreted that you can just keep on sinning and turn to God without any real change in your life. It is true that God saves sinners; God even saves the worst of sinners. However, you can't follow Jesus and remain in bondage to sin as you once were. There is and must be a change for the true follower of Jesus Christ. This is what the bible teaches. I guess this should've been focused on a different passage, but I'll just leave it that.
No comments:
Post a Comment