I write to you, dear children,
because your sins have been forgiven on account of his name.
I write to you, fathers,
because you have known him who is from the beginning.
I write to you, young men,
because you have overcome the evil one.
I write to you, dear children,
because you have known the Father.
I write to you, fathers,
because you have known him who is from the beginning.
I write to you, young men,
because you are strong,
and the word of God lives in you,
and you have overcome the evil one.
(v12-14, NIV)
This passage is quite interesting. Here, John is addressing three different groups of people. He addresses little children, fathers and young men. However, he addresses each group twice. Well, the second time he addresses little children, he says "children" instead of "little children". What's also interesting is that John is somewhat repetitive in what he addresses each group about. He repeats what he says to the fathers. Also, when he addresses the young men the first time, he repeats that instruction but adds others as well. Often in scripture, repetition is used as emphasis. Sometimes when you are talking to someone, you may repeat certain things to ensure they are heard or their importance is acknowledged. This may be why John repeats himself in this passage.
The many different things John speaks to specific groups are quite interesting. Why would he say certain things only to certain groups of people? The things he says could be applied to anyone and are not limited to those specific groups of people. However, this intimate address of something specific may have been because of his closeness with those he was writing to. He may not have wanted to simply say a bunch of things in general for everyone. He had particular words for particular people who were on his mind and in his heart. We are the same way. We don't speak to everyone the same way with the same things. We have particular things to say to particular people.
No comments:
Post a Comment