My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart
you, God, will not despise.
(v17, NIV)
What is it that God delights in? It is not the burnt offering itself, but a broken spirit. David is bringing forth his sacrifice and it is a broken spirit. David is broken over his sin. He is repentant and wishing he could take it back. He regrets what he did and sees the poor choices he has made. This is his sacrifice and offering to God. He could if he wanted to continue self-righteously living in his ways, ignoring the sin in his life. Instead, he accepts it and is broken about it. This is the offering God desires, not the burnt offerings itself. Be broken about your sin and come to God in that manner. Offer it to him and he will not despise it. There are so many times when I come to God with a list of demands, expecting God to owe me something. This is wrong, I am in the wrong, not justified or deserving of anything in it of myself. It is all him and looking at myself I should continue to realize and be reminded of how sinful I am. I should turn away from it and be broken by it. Be broken and bring it before God.
No comments:
Post a Comment