------ Draw Me Close to You ------
------ James Home ------ JonLam Home ------ midgetman Home------

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mark 14:1-2

Now the Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread were only two days away, and the chief priests and the teachers of the law were looking for some sly way to arrest Jesus and kill him. "But not during the Feast," they said, "or the people may riot."

(v1-2, NIV)

You know, for a long time, I didn't really understand how or in what way Judas betrayed Jesus. For the longest time I simply accepted that he simply betrayed him not really knowing how it worked. Sure, I knew he accepted money for it and he approached the Pharisees secretly to agree to betray Jesus. In addition, I knew that Judas lead the soldiers to meet Jesus to arrest him. However, I never really knew how or why it was this way. Why did they need Judas? In what way did he betray Jesus?

While he was still speaking, Judas, one of the Twelve, arrived. With him was a large crowd armed with swords and clubs, sent from the chief priests and the elders of the people. Now the betrayer had arranged a signal with them: "The one I kiss is the man; arrest him." Going at once to Jesus, Judas said, "Greetings, Rabbi!" and kissed him.

(Matthew 26:47-49, NIV)

Another thing I noticed was that Judas points out to the soldiers who Jesus is. He specifically greets Jesus and kisses him. So, Judas is able to distinguish to them who they are to arrest. However, is that all he was needed to do in order to betray Jesus? I would've figured that most people would have known who Jesus was. Could they not distinguish who Jesus was for themselves? This is certainly not the case; at least this is not entirely the case.

"Am I leading a rebellion," said Jesus, "that you have come out with swords and clubs to capture me? Every day I was with you, teaching in the temple courts, and you did not arrest me. But the Scriptures must be fulfilled." Then everyone deserted him and fled.

(Mark 14:48-50, NIV)

Clearly, Jesus wasn't hiding from them because he went and taught in the streets. He even points it out when they come and arrest him. He questions as to why they didn't come to seize him when he was teaching in the temple courts. Jesus knew the answer.

This may not be some special revelation to you. However, it was new to me and it was quite surprising. I am quite ashamed for not having known this all along. It's like something that I should have known but for some reason simply accepted it without really knowing it. It's quite obvious and it goes to show you how much I do not know or read my bible (shame on me). The Pharisees sought to arrest Jesus secretly. They needed an inside man in order to get the job done. Alternatively, what could they have done? A daytime arrest wouldn't have been secretive and people would've found out. So, they would have to simply follow him or find out where he was going to be at night. However, if it was a Pharisee who followed Jesus or asked where he would be, Jesus or others would've caught on. Maybe the Pharisees could've hired someone to get the job done. However, that also leads to issues of their cover being blown. Though it may be difficult, people or Jesus may be able to find out the spy's intent or who sent him. Sure, Judas' cover could have been blown. In fact, his cover was blown because Jesus knew that Judas was going to betray him. However, to the Pharisees, an inside man like Judas was the perfect person for the job. Judas was one of the twelve, so it's hard to find someone closer than Judas. Using Judas, they were able to take hold of an opportunity when Jesus was away from a crowd at night so they could arrest him secretly without people knowing that it was the Pharisees who did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment