------ Draw Me Close to You ------
------ James Home ------ JonLam Home ------ midgetman Home------

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

1 John 5:3

This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome,

(v3, NIV)

So we are called to love God and obey his commands. In addition, we are to love his child and the children of God. So, how do we love God? This is stated plainly that love for God is obeying his commands. Loving God and obeying his commands are tied together in verse 2. However, loving God actually means to obey his commands. This means you can't claim to love God without obeying his commands. If you love God, you'll obey his command.

Apparently, his commands are not burdensome. Some may be quick to object to this statement, but take a moment and think about it. For myself, my initial objection is not necessarily whether his commands are burdensome or not. My initial rejection is with regards to how difficult it is to keep his commands. By that I mean that I fail constantly at attempts made to obey God. Look at your own life and you'll realize that you're not perfect. There was at least once in your life where you can recognize that you've done something wrong. However, his commands are not burdensome. They may be difficult to keep, but keeping them does not become this overarching burden that is so overwhelming that it is unable to carry. His commands are not burdensome. They are in fact good for us. Eating our vegetables may be undesirable, but they are in fact good and beneficial for us to eat. Especially when I was younger I didn't like eating my vegetables. I'm sure I'm not the only one; there were others who did not like eating their vegetables. However, I'm growing to like vegetables more and better understanding their benefits. Some I even enjoy the taste as to before when I despised it. You may despise God's commands and think they're really stupid. But he tells us to do them and he tells us that they're good for you. Do you claim to love him? How can you love him and not even trust him when he tells us good things about obeying his commands.

Obeying his commands is what those who love him do. They obedience is from a relationship of love. This outpouring of love is why these commands are not burdensome. Don't you find something is burdensome when you're heart or desire is not in it? However, for those who love God, their heart and desires are for him. As a result, why would these commands be burdensome? Obey his commands, they are not burdensome

No comments:

Post a Comment