------ Draw Me Close to You ------
------ James Home ------ JonLam Home ------ midgetman Home------

Sunday, June 13, 2010

1 John 1:1-4 -- the true fellowship and false fellowship

"That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched—this we proclaim concerning the Word of life. The life appeared; we have seen it and testify to it, and we proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and has appeared to us. We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ. We write this to make our joy complete"

What is fellowship?

This question come to me again and again because I know there must be more than a "fellowship" gathering with "believers", yet I think I still can't exactly grasp the true meaning. I tried different things, but still fail. I know human fails and we are sinful and we can only be completed by renewing with the Holy Spirit. But what is that mean I wonder?

According to 1 John 1:1-4, I can find at least two ways to determine the true Christian fellowship:
1. It is grounded in the testimony of the Word of God. Not testimony or word of God along, but both together.
2. It is mutual, depending on the unity of Believers, just like the unity of God the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit.

I know true fellowship is more that these two criteria, and as study more I think I will probably enfold more wisdom from God to determine the truth, but I think if this two more fulfilled, very like the fellowship I go to will be good start.

Q: How can we find the true fellowship because seems like the standard for true fellowship is so high that isn't it you find so hard to find one at church or even at your city?

A: Jesus was with the Father and revealed to us on this sinful world. I wonder Jesus probably would never find one perfect place or group of people to "fellowship", because He is the light and the world is in the darkness. The conclusion is that it is not the place or the people around determine whether you have true fellowship, but it is determined by our attitude and our heart. The Bible promises us that we will be found if we sincerely seek. This is how we get the true fellowship: when we sincerely seek God, we will also find sincere seekers in the group; and "so that you may have fellowship with us" (v3)
The answer is actually right there in verse 3, but you will only find the answer when you seek for it, otherwise the Bible, or the Word of God is just a word with no power in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment