------ Draw Me Close to You ------
------ James Home ------ JonLam Home ------ midgetman Home------

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Ephesians 4:1-2

I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, 2 with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love,
Ephesians 4:1-2

One thing I missed and want to make note of is what's found in AMP for 4:1, "[that is, to live a life that exhibits godly character, moral courage, personal integrity, and mature behavior—a life that expresses gratitude to God for your salvation]".  It describes what it means to "live a life worthy of the calling to which you have been called".  To live a life worthy of this calling is to live a life exhibiting godly character.  There are a few things specified, but it's all under the banner of, "a life that expresses gratitude to God for your salvation".  We live this way in gratitude to what God has done for us.

Moving on, Paul tells his readers more about how they are to live a life worthy of their calling, "with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love,".  These things we are to have and exhibit in a way to show gratitude for our salvation.

So, how are these things worthy of the calling to which we have been called?  First of all, we have humility because we are saved by grace.  AMP adds, "[forsaking self-righteousness]".  When we work for our own salvation, we might feel a sense of pride or deserving of something because of what we have done.  However, we know that we were children of wrath, but have been saved in spite of what we have done.  There can no longer be any self-righteousness, so we must have humility.  This is also in line with Jesus, since he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death, even death on a cross (phil 2).

Gentleness is a bit weird.  AMP adds "[maintaining self-control]".  I guess both (gentleness and self-control) are also fruits of the spirit.  I'm not quite sure how it fits in except to say that we don't fall back into sin.  We were saved from it and it is God who we offend when we sin.  Gratitude towards him cannot include continuing in sin.

Patience can mean a lot of things.  In 2 Peter we learn how God is patient with us, not wishing that any should perish but all come to repentance.  I'm aware that I might be reaching for these things, so maybe I should stop here.  Instead, we should simply be encouraged towards these things in gratitude to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment