he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will,-Ephesians 1:5
I figure I'd do two today, but I guess this is kinda cheating. I simply left one thought out and now we're on the second post. Either way, let's look at it...
The end of the verse says, "according to the purpose of his will". This means that all that stuff that Paul is talking about here is what is being done according to God's plan and desire. Actually, looking at the different translations helps us get a better idea of what that means. In NLT, it says "This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure" and in AMP it says "in accordance with the kind intention and good pleasure of His will—". With regards to our adoption, God wanted to do it and he desired to do it. It's not as if he was forced or obligated to do it against his will. Perhaps some people take on responsibilities or try to do the right thing while they're dragging their heels. If someone is treating you nice or trying to serve you in some way and you know that they don't want to do it, it can be a bit of a turn off. I know when I'm trying to do things for those I love and they can tell that I am grumbling about doing it then it's not good. Doing such a thing is not the same kind of kind gesture and it arguable has a negative effect instead of a positive one. Here we read that God is not like that and desires to do such a wonderful thing as adopt us. Even more than that is that God is glad and it bring him pleasure to adopt us. It really is amazing to think that the God of this universe takes pleasure in the adoption of one such as me. All praise be to God.
No comments:
Post a Comment