For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him.Colossians 1:16
What's really interesting to me is how in this verse it is said that all things were created by, through and for Jesus. There's even a footnote in both ESV and AMP that says the first "by" can be "in" instead. So, all things were created by, in, through and for Jesus. Jesus seems to be the creator or the initiator in this creation process of all things. What's most interesting to me is that all things were created for him. Not only does he create all things, but the creation purpose or the purpose of these things are ultimately for Jesus himself. I am a created thing and the reason why I was created was for Jesus. Many people go about their lives living for themselves. It's a common mentality to have. Some may deny it, but secretly they may still live this way. You can argue that some people live for other things if you want. Unfortunately, most do not live for Jesus, even professing Christians. Let us live for what we were created for and fulfill our purpose.
I guess some people might argue that living for Jesus is ridiculous or stupid. They might think that Jesus is selfish or wrong to claim or determine our purpose. Some might think that living for Jesus is boring and an unfulfilling way to live. Even though they may not agree, I will still have a few things to say to them:
"What is the cheif end of man? The cheif end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever."-Westminister Catechism, Question and Answer #1
"God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him."-Desiring God
I find it to be true that the more I follow Jesus, the more joy I have. Conversely, the more I disobey and turn away from Jesus, the less joy my life has in the end. He made me and he made me for a purpose. When I aim to fulfill that purpose, it ends better for me, and that's the way he made me.
No comments:
Post a Comment