Paul begins this chapter with a case about his rights. He is putting up an argument saying that he is entitled to a few rights as someone who works under the Lord spreading the Gospel. Mainly he means the right to “...reap material things...” (v11, ESV) or gain from those he spreads the gospel to. It’s probably better explained by verse 14.
In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.
(v14, NIV)
However, Paul continues on saying “But I have made no use of any of these rights...” (v15, ESV). It sounds a bit odd. First he makes a case explaining his rights, but then he says that he doesn’t even take advantage of this right. However, he does this in order to receive a reward, “... That in my preaching I may present the gospel free of charge...” (v18, ESV). It makes me think of desire and getting what you deserve and motivation. This may not be what Paul is talking about, but how wrong of me if I were to spread the Gospel with the main purpose of getting material things in return. May it never be so.
In the next paragraph (v19 – v23) Paul is describing how he is winning others to Christ. Verses 20 – 22 become like this: “To (x) I became as (x)... that I might win (X).” Where x = the Jews, those under the law, those outside the law, and the weak. Paul is becoming like the people he is preaching to. However, he also mentioned within those verses “(though not being myself under the law)” (v20, ESV) and “(not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ)” (v21, ESV). Even though he becomes like those people he’s preaching to, he does not go as far as being without the law of Christ if he is being as one without the law. Or when he becomes as those under the law, he acknowledges that he truly is not under their laws. Regardless, it makes me think of back near the beginning of 1 Corinthians.
For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.
(1 Cor 1:17, ESV)
When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God.
(1 Cor 2:1, NIV)
And my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
(1 Cor 2:3-4, ESV)
Paul is not trying to persuade people with fancy words. He doesn’t want to hinder the Gospel with his words, for it is far more powerful than anything his human wisdom can come up with. Coming back to chapter 9, Paul is becoming like those he is preaching to. In the same way, we should take note of the types of people we are witnessing to. We don’t use one plausible argument coming from human wisdom as a one size fits all for everyone when spreading the Gospel. More importantly than what we say, it’s what we do. How do we acknowledge who they are in our acts rather than trying to convince them force feeding them the Gospel. Now, this doesn’t mean I subscribe to “living it out” to them. I don’t like hearing that because I believe it causes people to only live it out and never ACTUALLY tell someone about Jesus. Sure, we are to live it out to others and be an example to others. How terrible it is when my actions and daily living brings shame to the name of Christ. Therefore, I should live it out. However, I don’t like hearing that as the end all be all answer to evangelism. As I said, it causes people to ONLY live it out and never actually TELL someone about Jesus. It’s like sitting there twiddling your thumbs as you wait for someone to flat out say “Can you tell me about Jesus”. I’m not denying that it can happen. And when it happens, hallelujah, great, take advantage of that moment and tell them about Jesus. But preaching the good news isn’t passive, it’s active.
The last paragraph in chapter 9 (v24-27) Paul is describing his efforts and his life as a race. Paul is in a race and those in a race run to win a prize. In the same way, in our race of life living at servants to Christ Jesus, we should run as to win the prize. We should also train ourselves and discipline ourselves for the race so that we may win it in the same way that an athlete exercises in preparation for the race. The last verse sums up why we should run as to win the prize and train ourselves.
But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.
(v27, ESV)
With that in mind, let us train ourselves, let us not give up, an let us “run with endurance” (Heb 12:1, ESV).
we publish about the same time =) good work my friend.
ReplyDelete