Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.James 3:13-18
The wise should "show his works in the meekness of wisdom". I am a bit perplexed by what this means. I guess it seems that the wise should somehow show his or her good works. This means that his good deeds are on display for others to see. However, how are these good deeds shown "in the meekness of wisdom"? If we look ahead, we see James bringing up "jealousy and selfish ambition", things that one should not have or do. In addition, boasting and "being false to the truth" are also things that are not recommended. It would seem that "the meekness of wisdom" does not bode well with jealousy, selfish ambition, boasting and "being false to the truth". Even if we're not quite sure what "the meekness of wisdom" is, we know that it is not (or does not have) jealousy, selfish ambition, boasting and/or "being false to the truth".
So, wise people or wisdom does not have those things. Does this mean that to be wise means to avoid or not engage in that sort of behavior? As I reflect on these things, I have found that I am privy to these sorts of things. It is a bit concerning since I want to be wise and I don't want to be foolish. Perhaps you should examine yourself and make sure that you are not engaging in that sort of behavior?
In any case, James goes on to explain that those sorts of things does not equate with wisdom. In particular, he notes that it is different from "the wisdom that comes down from above". True wisdom is from above. True wisdom is not of this earth. Wisdom is from God. I am reminded of Proverbs 3:7.
Be not wise in your own eyes;
fear the Lord, and turn away from evil.Proverbs 3:7
There are other things that James mentions in relation to wisdom. He lists the things that Wisdom are.
But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.v17
As we mediate on these verses from James, may God penetrate our hearts and teach us his truth.
No comments:
Post a Comment