------ Draw Me Close to You ------
------ James Home ------ JonLam Home ------ midgetman Home------

Friday, May 5, 2017

Jude 1:5-7

Now I want to remind you, although you once fully knew it, that Jesus, who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe.  And the angels who did not stay within their own position of authority, but left their proper dwelling, he has kept in eternal chains under gloomy darkness until the judgment of the great day—  just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.
Jude 1:5-7

Having gone over the first few verses, we know that in this book the author is appealing to his readers to "contend for the faith".  The reason for this is because of false teachers who have creeped in.  As we move on, next we see the author call his readers to remember "that Jesus... afterward destroyed those who did not believe".  There is a seriousness about this, which is shown by the punishment.  What's interesting is that this is something that they once knew, which we can see by what the author says: "although you once fully knew it".  I guess they had forgotten, which is why the author says it like he does and reminds them of this fact.

In calling his readers to reminder, the author also mentions that Jesus "saved a people out of the land of Egypt".  First of all, it is Jesus who is specifically mentioned as the one who saved those people.  These people who are saved are the Israelites who were saved out of slavery back in the Old Testament.  Jesus wasn't born of the Virgin Mary yet, but that doesn't mean that Jesus didn't exist yet.  We know from Colossians 1 that Jesus existed before all things.  Also, he even says in Revelation 22:13: "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end".  So, not only is this a warning about the punishment, but these people who were "afterward destroyed" are part of those who were first saved out of Egypt.  If they were first saved and then destroyed, does this mean that you can lose your salvation?  I don't think the scripture goes that far, but it is certainly something to be wary of.  By that I mean that some people live in false security thinking that they're saved when they aren't.  So, people should beware lest they be deceived.

So, out of those Israelites who were saved out of Egypt, some were "afterward destroyed".  Those who were afterward destroyed were those who "did not believe".  Really?  Yes, really.  If you follow along in the story, you'll find that there were a number of occasions where the Israelites were less than grateful and many of them were punished as a result.  We read here in Jude that they did not believe.  You could probably say that they did not believe and trust in this same God who parted the Red Sea and defeated their enemies before their eyes.  In any case, they didn't believe and were punished.

There are three examples here and the first one was the Israelites who were saved out of Egypt.  The second example is about angels.  There were apparently some angels who "left their proper dwelling" and now receive punishment of "eternal chains under gloomy darkness".  Perhaps this is in reference to the angels who fell with with Satan (1/3 of them apparently ref: Rev 12).  In any case, there is a punishment of angels that the author is calling attention to.

The third example is of Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities.  Their problem was "sexual immorality" and "unnatural desire".  Their punishment was "eternal fire".  Putting them all together, there is the disbelief of the Israelites who were punished with death; the angels who "left their proper dwelling" and were punished with "eternal chains"; and lastly there is Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities who "indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire" and were punished with "eternal fire".  The author is bringing these to the attention of his readers.  He wants them to "contend for the faith" and be warned for themselves and others about these three examples of punishment.  The author will go on to talk about them more, but at the very least we now see the pattern and the idea for this all together.

This brings me to why I decided to read and study the book of Jude.  I will continue to read Jude, but what I was looking for is now clear.  I had heard someone arguing that the story of Sodom and Gomorrah in the Old Testament was not dealing with the sin of homosexuality (contrary to popular belief).  This person referred to something they had heard arguing that the people at the time were in the wrong because they were dominating people and not treating strangers with hospitality.  Now, there may be a lot to say to answer such opinions, but I think the bible itself makes it very clear what the problem was at that time.  Jude clearly points out that the error that was being punished was that they "indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire".  With that being said, I find it hard to deny that the sin of Sodom and Gomorrah was homosexuality.

Now, lest I run head-first into some zealous rage hell-bent on sin, I pray that the word of God penetrate my heart to lead me how I am to act with wisdom , gentleness and love.

So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart. Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will.
2 Timothy 2:22-26

Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.
Colossians 4:5-6

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.
1 Corinthians 13:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment