------ Draw Me Close to You ------
------ James Home ------ JonLam Home ------ midgetman Home------

Thursday, February 2, 2017

James 1:12-15

Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.
James 1:12-15

It is a good thing to patiently endure a trial.  Here in James, that person is "blessed".  Why is he blessed?  Well, it is because of the "crown of life" that he will receive after having "stood the test".  This is a promised thing from God, so we know it's going to happen.

Now, we face trials all the time.  If we stand firm against a single trial, does that mean that we "will receive the crown of life"?  Perhaps this is referring to enduring trials in general over a lifetime.  Those who endure to the end through the many trials of life are those who receive the crown of life.

So what is this crown of life?  Well, we read that it is promised to those who love God.  We read elsewhere in the bible about crowns followers of Jesus receive.  I'm not all too sure.  Either way, it is a good thing to endure and there is a reward.

Speaking about trials, James had begun this letter telling his readers to "count it all joy... when you meet trials of various kinds".  That part I often remember, but I don't remember this passage down in verse 12 as easily.  In any case, not only are we to count it joy because of the steadfastness that is produced, but now we are told about the reward to those to remain steadfast under trial.  This was probably helpful for the Christians to hear as they were being persecuted.

In any case, James moves on to temptation in verse 13.  I'm guessing it can come up that one may blame God for the temptation he or she is experiencing.  However, one should not blame God.  Why is this?  Well, "God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one".  So, don't blame God for your temptation.

I do wonder about this.  Doesn't God test Abraham?  Maybe this is different because it was a test and not a temptation?  I might also wonder about my propensity to sin in certain ways.  Didn't God make me the way I am?  If I am made and have certain tendencies to sin, didn't God put that in me?  Well, James goes on to explain that temptation comes from being "lured and enticed by his own desire".  It's not from God but from myself.  I can't blame God for it.

Going back to that idea of the way God made me, I am reminded of Romans 9.  Perhaps you can read it for yourself.  I am thinking about verse 19 and onward, but the whole chapter is pretty good.

Anyways, the last verse in this paragraph paints a very clear picture about temptation.  Temptation is from ones own desire.  Relating to a picture of pregnancy and birth, we read that desire gives birth to sin.  However, it doesn't end there.  In the same way that a baby grows up, so sin "fully grown brings forth death".  As we know, sin does lead to death.  We all sin.  So, we will all die.  However, those who repent and fight sin are those who do not fully grow this baby from sin to death.  These are the ones who grow in the fruits of the spirit (Galatians 5) and walk by the spirit and not by the flesh (Romans 8).  They are slaves to righteousness and not slaves to sin (Romans 6).  These are the people who practice righteousness, walk in the light, love his brother and many other things mentioned in 1 John.  All of these things do not merit salvation, but they are things that people who are already saved do.

No comments:

Post a Comment