------ Draw Me Close to You ------
------ James Home ------ JonLam Home ------ midgetman Home------

Thursday, January 19, 2017

John 1:4-5

In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
John 1:4-5

It's actually pretty interesting that I have just gotten to 1 John 5:11-12 now that we're at John 1:4-5.  We read that "in him was life".  So, it is in Jesus that there is life.  Similarly, in 1 John 5 we read about life being in Jesus:

And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.
1 John 5:11-12

So, cross referencing 1 John 5, I am guessing that this life in Jesus is eternal life.  However, some translations connect this part about "life" to the creation of everything.  So, instead, life in Jesus is his giving of life to all in his creating of all things.  I guess both are true, but here in John 1 it is probably referring to creation.

Continuing about this life that was in Jesus, we read that "the life was the light of men".  We move from creation through Jesus, to life in Jesus, to light.  This life is light and it applies to men.  The life is the light of men.  It is the light that shines in the darkness.  We read that the darkness has not overcome the light.  There is a battle that is victorious in favor of the light.

I feel as if there is so much to this passage, yet I don't know how much I'd be reaching.  I do know from 1 John 1 that God is light.  I find it very interesting that the idea of light is spoken about Jesus, but it is also spoken of God.  I don't think it's a point of proof, but it is yet another push in the direction that Jesus is God.

No comments:

Post a Comment