------ Draw Me Close to You ------
------ James Home ------ JonLam Home ------ midgetman Home------

Friday, October 21, 2016

Exodus 8-10

Plague number 2: frogs.

They come up and invade Egypt.  Somehow, the magicians are able to re-create this plague.  Pharaoh asks for Moses to take away the frogs and he will let them go to sacrifice to the Lord.  However, when the frogs are gone, he hardened his heart and wouldn't listen to them.

Plague number 3: gnats.

This time, the magicians are unable to re-create the plague.  They even warn Pharaoh that "this is the finger of God".  However, Pharaoh's heart was hardened and wouldn't listen to them.

Plague number 4: flies.

The flies are unleashed and it is said "Throughout all the land of Egypt the land was ruined by the swarms of flies".  Pharaoh calls them and tells them to sacrifice to their God within the land, hoping that he can work out a compromise.  However, Moses replies saying that they cannot since if they sacrifice offerings that are not good in the sight of Egyptians, the Egyptians might kill them.  They would need to go far away in order to avoid such a problem.  Anyway, Pharaoh agrees to let them go sacrifice in the wilderness, only that they shouldn't go very far.  Moses isn't convinced, saying "Only let not Pharaoh cheat again by not letting the people go sacrifice to the Lord".  When the flies are gone, Pharaoh's heart is hardened and does not let the people go (big surprise).

Plague number 5: livestock die.

All of the Egyptian livestock die, but of course, none of the livestock of Israel die.  Though it doesn't say specifically for each of the plagues (some it does say), I'm assuming that in these plagues a distinction is made between the Egyptians and the Israelites.

If you look ahead to the seventh plague, you'll notice the Egyptians taking their livestock into shelter.  How do they have livestock if all are killed in this fifth plague?  I'm assuming that either "all" did not really mean all when referring to the livestock of the Egyptians.  It could've meant all in comparison to not one of the livestock of Israel.  However, it is probably more likely that some of the Egyptians acquired livestock between the fifth and the seventh plague.  Maybe it's a bit of both, I'm not entirely sure.  There are a couple of other possibilities that I just looked up.  Regardless, it doesn't take away from the authority and scripture since it doesn't mean for sure that scripture is contradicted.

Plague number 6: boils.

Boils break out into sores on man and beast throughout Egypt.  This is not pleasant and the Magicians cannot even stand before Moses because of the boils.  However, Pharaoh still hardens his heart and will not listen.

Plague number 7: hail.

This time in what God tells Moses to say to Pharaoh, we hear a bit more.  We see a purpose to the plagues, which is "so that you may know that there is none like me in all the earth".  He even mentions that he could have cut them off from the earth and completely wipe them out, but he has not.  However, God has another plan: "But for this purpose I have raised you up, to show you my power, so that my name may be proclaimed in all the earth".  That is quite scary.

Some of the Egyptians actually listened and took their slaves and livestock into shelter.  I'm actually surprised that some did not.  Considering the track record of the first 6 plagues, you'd think that people would simply believe what Moses and Aaron was saying.  However, God must've hardened their hearts as well, not just Pharaoh's heart.  Actually, skipping ahead to chapter 10, we do see that mentioned: "Then the Lord said to Moses, “Go in to Pharaoh, for I have hardened his heart and the heart of his servants, that I may show these signs of mine among them".

So hail rains down and destroys quite a lot.  They get called back to please with the Lord to cease the hail.  Moses still doesn't believe that they'll let the Israelites go, "But as for you and your servants, I know that you do not yet fear the Lord God".  As expected, Pharaoh doesn't let them go even after the hail has stopped.

Pharaoh even says "This time I have sinned; the Lord is in the right, and I and my people are in the wrong".  I'm guessing that he doesn't really mean it considering he goes back on his word right after the hail ceases to fall.

Plague number 8: locusts.

We read of another reason given for these plagues: "that you may tell in the hearing of your son and of your grandson how I have dealt harshly with the Egyptians and what signs I have done among them".  I'm sure you could talk to most Jews nowadays and they'd be able to tell you about how God saved the Israelites from slavery in Egypt.

It's interesting that we hear of another voice of reason among the Egyptians, "Then Pharaoh's servants said to him, “How long shall this man be a snare to us? Let the men go, that they may serve the Lord their God. Do you not yet understand that Egypt is ruined?”".  Pharaoh tries to reason with Moses and Aaron again, thinking only the men would go worship and leave the women and children behind.  This doesn't work and Moses and Aaron refuse.

Locust swarm Egypt and Pharaoh asks for God to relent.  Once again Pharaoh admits his sin to Moses and Aaron, "Then Pharaoh hastily called Moses and Aaron and said, “I have sinned against the Lord your God, and against you. Now therefore, forgive my sin, please, only this once, and plead with the Lord your God only to remove this death from me.”".  Yes, you were right, Pharaoh doesn't let them go yet again.

Plague number 9: darkness.

Great darkness falls upon Egypt.  it is so severe that people can't go anywhere or do anything.  I wonder if they had candles or something like that.  Perhaps it was so dark that they were unable to even find the candles to light them.  Or perhaps the darkness was so great that the candles wouldn't work or would be snuffed out.

Pharaoh calls them again and tries to reason with them again.  This time, he tries to have them leave their livestock behind.  However, this will not work since they need the livestock.  Pharaoh sends them away saying "Then Pharaoh said to him, “Get away from me; take care never to see my face again, for on the day you see my face you shall die.”".  Actually, looking ahead you can see that Pharaoh does see Moses again.  I guess Pharaoh didn't kill Moses as he said he would if he saw him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment